It's the 1st of November,
and the start of the Celtic New Year. Pagans celebrate this with the
festival of Samhain, a time to honour our ancestors and bloodlines.
It's a time for reflection and thought, a time to be still and listen
to the insights we are being given.
It is also a good time to evaluate the
past year, look towards the coming year and make plans.
It's been a while since I updated this
blog about my personal life. My writing has been focused on creating
articles and sharing my personal views and ideas, so I will now, take
the chance to look back over the past year and share a little about
how 2011 has been for me.
Last November, I shared my story with
the local newspaper. This was a massive event for me, as to open up
my life to the public was very scary! The reality was that, no-one
recognised me in the street, I wasn't judged by the whole world, and
life carried on as normal!
After the story came out, I started a
private online Facebook support group, which grew steadily and proved
to be a successful way for women to chat to other sufferers and find
support, advice and friendship. Current membership is around 70
women. I also admin the PMDD-Community page, whose 'likers' now
stand at over 500.
I had hoped to go on national TV with
my story, however, the slot they wanted me to fill was right in the
middle of January. Possibly the worst time for me as I suffer with
SAD too, so I had to cancel. I am hoping it may happen in the
future, when I feel strong and well enough to actually go on
television!
One of the biggest challenges for me
this year has been my relationship. As all women with PMDD will tell
you, having and keeping a relationship is one of the hardest things to do. My partner and I have had another rocky year, splitting
up and getting back together, but neither of us have given up yet,
and hopefully 2012 will be a much better year for us (what was that?
Wedding bells? Haha.. fingers crossed!)
The success of the support group meant
that I had a steady flow of women requesting to join. The groups
work because they are small, so a second group was created, to allow
more women to have a sanctuary to visit everyday. I now have another
group of over 60 women, all happily chatting and helping each other
through the difficult times.
My desire to raise the awareness of
PMDD has continued, and I wrote to and met with my MP in the summer
to discuss how PMDD can become more recognised and how we could make
sure it become a recognised disorder by the World Health
Organisation. This is still a work in progress, and as you can
understand, only being able to work on these things during my 'good'
times means it's slow going. I will be sharing a blog post with more
details soon. I have not stopped trying and will continue to raise
these issues with ANYONE I feel can help to educate and lift the
profile of PMDD.
I also became completely medication
free this year! After all my negative experiences with prescription
medications, I had cleared all but the Mirena coil from my being. In
August, after many months of suffering agonising cramps at ovulation
and menstruation I had the Mirena coil removed. Not one medical
professional would even consider it was the coil giving me so much
pain, even suggesting that I must have an STI, rather than admit the
coil was playing a part in my trips to A&E in agonising pain.
All STI tests, obviously came back clear and I have had relatively
pain free periods since it's removal. It also made me realise it was
having a massive effect on my feelings and moods. So I am very
pleased to now be completely med free, and still surviving!
More recent achievements have been to
start another new group on Facebook that solely focuses on the
natural healing methods for PMDD and some exciting breakthrough's
with a couple of larger UK charity organisations.
Wellbeing for Women, a charity that
helps to fund women's research, will be featuring my story on their
website in the next few months, which may also then go on to other
publications in the UK, and the best news is that I have been asked
by MIND, the UK's biggest mental health charity to be a guest blogger
and start a discussion about PMDD. I am hoping they are also
considering including it on their list of disorders on their website
and producing an information leaflet!
Seemingly small steps, but ones I hope
will help to change the awareness of this disorder for all women, to
allow more research, better diagnosis and treatments. I have many
more plans, and will never stop standing on my soap box on behalf of
all the women still too unwell to do it themselves.
Love to all my readers!
Merry Samhain and a Happy New Year!
PMDD-Community Page -
http://www.facebook.com/pages/PMDD-Community/144345554824
PMDD Support Group - http://www.facebook.com/groups/pmddsupportgroup/
PMDD Support Group 2 - http://www.facebook.com/groups/244763498872960/
PMDD Support Group - http://www.facebook.com/groups/pmddsupportgroup/
PMDD Support Group 2 - http://www.facebook.com/groups/244763498872960/
Natural and Alternative Healing for PMDD
Page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Natural-and-Alternative-Healing-for-PMDD/307325192627145
Wellbeing for Women - http://www.wellbeingofwomen.org.uk/
Mind - http://www.mind.org.uk/

No comments:
Post a Comment